This is one of my favorite soup recipes. My whole family likes it and it is hearty. Ninja Foodi Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is easy to make and because there is some simmer time in the Ninja Foodi the house even gets the nice aroma.
I have been converting stovetop recipes to my Ninja Foodi and this was one of the first I tried. I still do cook my wild rice separate from the chicken, because I am still figuring out the wild rice cooking piece. I think next time I will try to cook together because the times should match up, but open to any suggestions if anyone has them.
What you Need
This one has a lot of ingredients, but don’t let that deter you. It is pretty easy overall. The hardest part is the vegetable chopping, but I use my Ninja Food Chopper and it makes quick work of it. Prepping everything in my Pampered Chef Prep Bowls also makes it a simple dump and go for most steps.
This recipe calls for:
- Wild rice
- Prepared chicken bouillon
- Whole chicken (can substitute bon in pieces)
- Mushrooms (optional in my house as I have mushroom haters)
- Olive oil
- Chicken Bouillon granules (can substitute the cubes)
- Ground white pepper
- Half and Half
- White wine
You can leave out the white wine and substitute black pepper for the white pepper, but I do find these two ingredients are really what makes this taste so unique.
Ninja Foodi Chicken and Wild Rice Instructions
You will make the wild rice first. Note that you actually pull this out of the Ninja Foodi before it is completely done. You add back in at the simmer phase which will complete the cooking process. If you do not do this, trust me, you will have some very soggy rice that is not good on the palate.
Once you have the rice cooked, you sauté the vegetables. Then add the chicken and liquid and pressure cook. From there is is temple immersing and adding the cream sauce made of butter, flour, milk and half and half. The wine adds a nice unique flavor when added at the end.
Ninja Foodi Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is one of those recipes that people will think you were in the kitchen all day making. That it did not is a secret that is all ours.
This is also a great COST Cooking recipe as it makes a lot. Coming out of the freezer later it may be more of a stew, but tastes just as good. However, you can add a little more chicken stock and it will be soup consistency again
Ninja Foodi Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 4-5 lb Chicken, whole Could substitute other chicke pieces, but bone in pieces seem to provide more flavor.
- 1⅓ cups Wild rice
- 2⅔ cups Chicken stock
- 8 cups Water This will vary based on chicken size, etc.
- 1 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 1 cup Carrots, chopped
- 1 cup Mushrooms If mushrooms are not well-liked in your family you can leave these out.
- 2 tbsp Olive oil Can substitute grape seed or other oil.
- 2 tbsp Chicken bouillon granules Can substitute cubes if you have on hand.
- ¾ tsp Ground white pepper Can substitute black pepper but there is a slight taste difference.
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Butter
- 3 cups Milk
- 1 cup Half and half cream
- ¾ cup White wine
- ¾ cup Flour
- Place the wild rice and prepared bouillon in the Ninja Foodi. Pressure cook on High for 15 minutes. Quick release pressure. The rice should not be completely cooked, as it will be finished later in the recipe and you do not want it over cooked.
- Drain the excess liquid from the rice. If you want to save Liquid to use when cooking the chicken that works nicely, if not no worries. Set the rice aside.
- Set the Ninja Foodi to Sauté and add oil. Sauté the onions, until soft and translucent. Add carrots, celery and mushrooms. Saute for about another minute and turn off the Sauté function.
- Add the chicken to the Ninja Foodi. Add enough water to reach the 10 -12 cup line. Larger chickens go to 12 cups, smaller go to the 10 cup line.
- Pressure cook on High for 20 minutes. Quick Release the pressure.
- Remove the chicken to cool and shred.
- Turn the Sauté function back on and add the rice back to the pot.
- Add the bouillon granules, white pepper and salt. Simmer for about 15 minutes. If you need to add more water do so at this time.
- While the soup is simmering, in a medium saucepan melt butter on medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and half and half. Continue cooking until bubbly and thick.
- To keep the milk mixture from curdling or clumping, you cannot just add to the simmering pot quickly. Instead add about ¾ to 1 cup of the broth mixture to the milk mixture in the saucepan stirring well.
- Add the milk mixture to the Ninja Foodi and mix well.
- Add the shredded chicken and white wine. Heat through for about 10-15 minutes.