I grew up eating pork roast, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes as a staple for Sunday dinner and New Year’s Day for good luck. As I got older and started cooking it myself, I realized how messy the kitchen got to have this meal. So I found a way to make this in my Instant Pot with my pot-in-pot without losing the tenderness or flavor of the pork. Full disclosure I have the larger 8 quart Instant Pot. However you can still do this with one pot and the stand in the 6 quart. I will call out where this would be different if two pots don’t work.
What You Need
2 -3 lb Pork roast, cubed in 2-3 inch pieces
1 Apple, cored, peeled and cubed
1 Onion, sliced and quartered
1 cup Apple Juice
16 oz Sauerkraut, drained
For mashed potatoes
4 -5 Potatoes, peeled and sliced
Ninja Foodi Pork and Sauerkraut Instructions
In the bottom pot add the sliced potatoes and 1 cup water. In the top pot layer the pork, apples and onions on the bottom. Pour the apple sauce over the top and then spread the sauerkraut as the layer on the top. Put the lid on the pot with the port and place that pot on top of the potato pot and lock them together. Place your pot-in-pot in a sling and lower into your Instant Pot. Add 1 cup water to the Instant Pot. If two pots do not fit in your Instant Pot. Then simply add the potatoes to the main pot of the Instant Pot with the 1 cup water. Add the stand and place the covered pork pot on the stand.
Add the pressure cooker lid to the Instant Pot with the vent closed. Set to High for 13-15 minutes depending on the size of the roast.. When the cooking time is over, let natural release for 15 minutes. Carefully remove the pots and open the potato one. Drain the water, add milk, butter and anything you normally would. (Sometimes I add a dash of garlic salt.). User the Chef Mix and Masher to mash the potatoes. If the potatoes were cooked in the main Instant Pot pot you can drain and mash there. The Pampered Chef Mix and Masher is gentle enough to use in any pot and will not scratch it. Full disclosure, when I first got my Pampered Chef Mix and Masher I thought there was not way it would mash potatoes. It is the BEST masher I have ever had. It is so simple to use and so effective. Open the pot with the pork, stir slightly and serve. I serve in my pot-in-pot and it really keeps dishes to a minimum. I also like to serve with homemade applesauce. Enjoy a Sunday dinner with minimal time and minimal mess.
Instant Pot Pork with Sauerkraut and Mashed Potatoes
- 2 -3 Lb Pork roast cubed in 2-3 inch pieces
- 1 Each each Apple cored, peeled and cubed
- 1 Each each Onion sliced and quartered
- 1 Cup Apple Juice
- 16 Oz Sauerkraut drained
- 4 -5 Each Potatoes peeled and cubed If making mashed potatoes
- 2 Cups water Only 1 cup water needed if not making mashed potatoes
- This will require at least a single pot or pot-in-pot set up. Add pork, apples, onions and apple juice.
- Place the drained sauerkraut on the top and cover with the lid.
- If making mashed potatoes in the pot-in-pot then add cubed potatoes and 1 cup water to the second pot. Place pork pot on top of mashed potatoes spot and lock them together.
- Add 1 cup water to the Instant Pot. Place pot-in-pot in the sling and place in the pressure cooker.
- Place Instant Pot lid on the cooker. Set to high and for 13 minutes.
- When Instant Pot is done let natural release for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove pot-in-pot. Leave pork covered while you drain the potatoes and prepare to mash in the cooking pot. Add butter, milk and and other seasoning, i.e. garlic salt, to potatoes. Mash potatoes.
- Remove lid from pork and serve meal in the pots.