I love ribs and Instant Pot BBQ Baby Back Ribs just made it easier. Actually I love barbecue as does the rest of my family. We love the fall off the bone, melt in your mouth ribs. Making those at home has always required me to parboil for hours the day before. Then I would soak overnight in BBQ sauce. Certainly not a “on the fly” kind of meal. However always a COST Cooking meal as I would make a few racks as long as I was boiling. Ribs defrost and microwave well. Just be sure to add to your Freezer Inventory.
I digress, as along comes the Instant Pot and the Ninja Grill and suddenly Ninja BBQ Baby Back Ribs are on the table in about an hour.
As an experiment I had time between games this weekend so I parboiled two racks of ribs on Friday and then did the third rack in the Instant Pot .As the ribs came out of the Instant Pot I have to say I was surprised at how tender and fall of the bone they were.
Pressure cooking really works well. It is also nice because I can add a rub to these that just cooks in so well and adds more depth to the flavor. With parboiling I cannot add any additional rubs, just the sauce before grilling.
What You Need
A couple racks of ribs, water, brown sugar and your favorite BBQ rub and sauce, I used the last of my Sweet and Smoky BBQ Rub from Pampered Chef tonight. They no longer make it so look for a BBQ rub recipe soon.
Instructions for Instant Pot BBQ Baby Back Ribs
Take off the silver skin running down the back of the ribs. This allows for the ribs to be more tender. Rub both sides of the ribs with your rub and then rub with the brown sugar as a second coat. Add a cup of water to the Instant Pot and wrap the ribs into the pot. It does not matter Which side faces in and it will all cook evenly. Turn on the Instant Pot and set pressure to high and time to 35 minutes for fall off the bone ribs, 25 minutes for chewier ribs.
When done cooking let pressure naturally release for about 10 minutes. Preheat your Ninja Grill to 500. Pull the ribs out of the Instant Pot . Be careful as they may fall apart.
Cut or tear at about a 4-6 bone increment and brush with your favorite BBQ sauce. We use Sweet Baby Rays. Add the ribs to the Ninja Grill and cook for 4-6 minutes per side. The intent is just to caramelize the sauce. Pull out and enjoy. I like to serve with corn casserole (recipe forthcoming).
Instant Pot BBQ Baby Back Ribs
- 1 rack Ribs
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 4 tbsp BBQ rub of your choice
- BBQ Sauce to taste Depends on how saucy you want them to be.
- Remove the “silver skin”. This runs on the bottom of the ribs and is a clear piece of skin that typically comes off easily. Removing allows the ribs to become more tender more quickly.
- Rub ribs with BBQ rub. Be sure to rub into both sides of the ribs.
- Rub the brown sugar over the rub. Be sure to rub both sides and really get it to stick.
- Pour the water in the Instant Pot.
- Add the ribs. Just fold in a circular pattern. It does not matter which side is towards the middle. The pressure cooking function will cook them evenly.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and set Pressure to High and time to 35 minutes if you like fall of the bone. 25 minutes if you prefer ribs to chewy.
- When done cooking let pressure natural release for 10 minutes.
- Preheat Ninja Grill to 500°. If you do not have a Ninja Grill heat your your oven to Broil.
- Remove ribs cut into about 4-6 bone pieces and cover in BBQ sauce. If finishing in the oven, just place uncut ribs on a cookie sheet and cover in BBQ sauce.
- On Ninja Grill cook the ribs about 4-5 minutes per side to carmelize the BBQ sauce. If using Broil in the oven then broil 4-6 minutes a side.
- Remove from Grill or oven and enjoy!
Leave a Reply